Ins and Outs of Google Maps For Your Next Vacation
With the proliferation of travel-oriented apps and websites, it’s simpler than ever to maintain order during the preparation stages of a trip. Google Maps’ Trip Planner is a popular resource. This article discusses this topic in depth.
Create Your Own Google Map
- If you want to get started, head on over to Google Maps and click the “+New Map” button.
- In all likelihood, you’ve seen the main Google maps page previously, which is what will be up when you click this. (You’ll need a Google account that’s logged in)
- After logging in, go to “Your Places” by clicking the menu’s three vertical dots in the top left corner.
- The next step is to select “Maps” from the menu’s far right.
- Until you’ve made a map, nothing will appear in the list.
- If you want to make a map, select “Create Map“
- The next screen will take you to a blank map where you may give it a name and some context.
- To do this, click the “Untitled Map” button to bring up a text box where you may provide the necessary details. Be as detailed as you can in your planning as it will assist you in staying on track.
Place Your Map In A Category
Make a list of everything you wish to see and do while away. Below, you’ll find a list of the most prevalent varieties:
- Eateries & Watering Holes
- Various Urban Centers
- Activities (beaches, walks, Instagram sites, etc.)
When you’ve settled on a set of categories, you can start building your classification by selecting the “Add Layer” option in the sidebar. Like when you first gave your map a title, you’ll want to give each layer a name by clicking the “Untitled Layer” text box.
Put Ideas On Google Maps
Whether you got the idea from friends, blogs, travel sites, or Instagram, you probably already have a few things on your bucket list if you’re planning a trip to a country you’ve been thinking about seeing for a while. The time has come to collect all of your ideas and determine which ones you can realistically pursue. To add a location marker for a plan you have for your journey, select the category you wish to add it to.
Customize Your Google Map
Markers can be color-coded by category, which can be a helpful visual aid for keeping things organized. To achieve this, open the pop-up box for the location marker and tap on the color bucket icon. If you click the pencil icon next to the color picker, you’ll be able to make extra notes on an area or jot down other ideas you might have for that spot. You can get rid of a plan from your trip by clicking the trash can button in the same window.
Color codes can be used in the following ways:
- Color-Coding Activities According To Priority
- Color-Coding Activities According To Costing
- Color-Coding Activities To Further Segregate Your Categories
Sort Out Which Tasks Should Be Clustered
At this level, you can see a more generalized map on which are located your various points of interest. You may use this information to determine where to stay, what kind of hotel to book, what kind of restaurants are in walking distance, and what kinds of activities would be most beneficial to do together. Google Trends It is helpful to be able to visualize your complete route on either a map and employ a method of elimination to figure out which rest areas are most beneficial on which days. The time commitment involved in visiting each location can be more easily estimated when viewed on a map.
Sketch Your Daily Itinerary
Put together a Google Doc with a brief schedule for every day of the vacation. You can also use this document to record your flight details, car rental confirmation, and hotel reservation information. It’s simple to acquire travel information to your first stop after you arrive at your destination by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of the pop-up panel. When you do this, a new layer labeled with the name of the location will appear on the left side of the screen. To get detailed driving directions, enter your beginning point (such as the airport) in the “A” text box and then click the “…” symbol.
Install Google Maps On Your Phone
Finally, if you don’t already have it, you’ll want to install Google Maps on your mobile device so that you can access the Google map you made while you’re on the go. After that, log in using the same User account you used to create the map. After logging in, select “Your Places” and then the very last option on the right, “Google Maps.”
Share The Map With Friends And Family
The ability to show the map to others is a great feature of Google Maps’ Trip Planner. When traveling with others, it’s helpful to have a shared understanding of where everyone is and where they need to go. Plus, once you get back from your trip, you’ll have a complete list of everything to provide to friends who are also visiting that area. To collaborate on a desktop, open the map as you normally would. If you look just below your map’s title, you’ll see the “share” button. When you select it, you’ll be given the choice to publish the item on social media or forward it via email.